[C++-sig] [Announce] pyplusplus 0.5.0

Roman Yakovenko roman.yakovenko at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 10:49:21 CEST 2005

Hi. I would like announce of new version of pyplusplus (0.5).

What is this?
The pyplusplus is a framework of components for creating C++ code generator
for boost.python library

Code generation with the pyplusplus framework is a very flexible and highly
configurable process.

You can find an introduction to pyplusplus at:

1. http://tinyurl.com/dbbrj
2. http://sue.mydnsbox9.net/~admin191/pyplusplus/pyplusplus.html

First of all, this project is under active development.
Second I think from now this project could be used in production.
Third: list of implemented features:
    * classes
        * class wrappers
        * two modes of code generation:
          * using scope - better error messages location from compiler
          * no scope
        * automatic detection of held type
        * nested classes
        * implicit conversion
    * functions
       * virtual methods
       * protected method, even non virtual ones can be accessed from `Python`_.
       * overloading
       * two modes of code generation:
         * with function type - good for exporting template instantiated
           functions and overloaded ones.
         * without function type
       * static methods
       * code generated for wrapped methods takes into account types
of arguments
       * operators, both free and member ones
       * call policies resolver
    * enumerations
    * variables
    * namespace aliasing and using
    * writing multiple files
    * user code could be inserted almost any where
    * write code into file if there were changes
    * user licence is written at the top of every file
    * ...

4'th - examples. Now it has real world example. I created Python binding
for boost.date_time library almost all functionality has been exported.
Next functionality was not exported: facet, parsing and iterators.
See this page for more information:

1. http://tinyurl.com/8zk8r
2. http://sue.mydnsbox9.net/~admin191/pyplusplus/examples/py_date_time/py_date_time.html

5'th - demo mode. In order to evaluate pyplusplus you don't have to learn new
API. pyplusplus has nice and simple gui. For convenience this gui is packed as
standalone executable for Windows and Linux.

In order to use pyplusplus you have to have CVS version of boost.python.

Ideas, comments, suggestions or help are welcomed.

Roman Yakovenko