[C++-sig] Re: hello.pyd - where did it go?

Jesper Olsen jesper.olsen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 17:54:19 CET 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:49:32 +0800, Joel de Guzman <djowel at gmail.com> wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
> > Jesper Olsen <jesper.olsen at gmail.com> writes:

> >>I have not used bjam prior to boost so I'm a little confused - is it
> >>possible to see
> >>what the commandline eqivalents of what bjam is actually doing?
> >

> > Add  "-d+2" to your bjam command line, just after "bjam"
> >
> > If you've already built something, use
> > "-a" to cause bjam to treat everything as being out-of-date
> > and "-n" to cause bjam not to build anything, but display the
> > commands that would be executed.
>
> Time to update the tutorial? Is it not a good idea to put
> bjam generated directory paths there since these are subject
> to change?

Thanks.

I was able to run the tutorial - what was necessary after running bjam
in the example/tutorial directory, was to add
.../../../../bin/boost/libs/python/example/tutorial/hello.so/gcc/debug/shared-linkable-true/
to sys.path (python) and setting the shell variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.4/config:../../../../bin/boost/libs/python/build/libboost_python.so/gcc/debug/shared-linkable-true:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Looking at the bjam -d 2 output it seems it tries to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to this value - but it is not defined when it
finishes...

Anyway - I'm glad it's working now.
I think the python bridge is very cool - much easier than writing the
usual c interface files.
However - installation and distribution of code is less streamlined
than using python distutils - but I guess it was not the intention to
replace that anyway.

Cheers
Jesper