[C++-sig] Boost tutorial Jamfile discrepancy

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sun Jun 26 19:53:26 CEST 2005

Gary Robinson <grobinson at goombah.com> writes:

> http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/html/python/hello.html
> says that the Jamfile for hello.cpp is
>
>     subproject libs/python/example/tutorial ;
>
>     SEARCH on python.jam = $(BOOST_BUILD_PATH) ;
>     include python.jam ;
>
>     extension hello                     # Declare a Python extension
> called hello
>     :   hello.cpp                       # source
>         <dll>../../build/boost_python   # dependencies
>         ;
>

> However the actual contents are:
>
>     #   Hello World Example from the tutorial
>     #   [Joel de Guzman 10/9/2002]
>
>     #   Specify our location in the boost project hierarchy

Comments, irrelevant to the tutorial.

>     subproject libs/python/example/tutorial ;

Identical
>     #   Include definitions needed for Python modules
>     import python ;

An equivalent but more modern version of the incantation about
involving SEARCH and include.

>     extension hello                     # Declare a Python extension
> called hello
>     :   hello.cpp                       # source
>         <dll>../../build/boost_python   # dependencies
>         ;

Identical.

So, they're both correct; the 2nd one is more correct than the 1st
one.  However, the one in the CVS tutorial is even more correct (and
it matches the CVS Jamfile):

  http://www.boost-consulting.com/boost/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/html/python/hello.html

However, what's missing from this tutorial is the setting up of a
boost-build.jam file that points at the Boost build system.  You can
put one anywhere in your directory hierarchy at or above the location
of the Jamrules file.  It should contain:

  boost-build path-to-your-booost-installation/tools/build/v1 ;

where path-to-your-booost-installation is the (absolute or relative)
path to the top-level directory of Boost containing a subdirectory
called "tools/".

[Joel, would you be able to add this info to the tutorial before the
 release?  The phraseology I've used here would work nicely.
]

www.boost-consulting.com