[C++-sig] c + python interchangable?

Jason Kankiewicz jkankiewicz at advpubtech.com
Tue Jul 5 20:35:25 CEST 2005

They're interchangeable in a sense because Python is implemented in C
and therefore any Python program must have an equivalent C
implementation. They're not interchangeable in a sense because Python is
an interpreted, dynamically-typed, garbage-collected language and not a
compiled, statically-typed, non-garbage-collected language like C.

Python complements C by addressing its weaknesses. Python's greatest
weakness is speed but this can be addressed by re-coding the slowest
parts of a Python program in C (or C++ using Boost.Python or SWIG) as an
extension module. This "hybrid programming" approach should take much
less work and yield similar results to re-coding an entire Python
program in C.