[C++-sig] wrapping xbase library

jim jlh at yvn.com
Wed Feb 16 09:20:56 CET 2005

Sirs:

I maintain a production data system written in Clipper.  Clipper having been
abandoned by Computer associates, I would like to be able to do things in
python -- which will require using the existing xbase data structure for the
time being.  Suggestions that I move the data system to postgresql or
mysql... are not useful at this time.  I must work with the xbase files for
the time being because so much of the system must use them.  And I require a
real time two way dialog between the new and the old.

I need to be able to manipulate xbase dbf, dbt and ntx files -- data files,
memo files and index files -- in much the same fashion that clipper does it.
Shared files, record locking, update index files if key fields change ...

If I can get the above, most else is negotiable.

The xbase c++ library appears to be such an interface and I have been trying
to create a python module from that library.  I only need a small subset of
the actual library functions although having access to them all would be a
good thing.

I am soliciting assistance in this project -- paid or otherwise.  I will be
more than willing to do the grunt work, but it seems as if I need some
coaching to get some of the hooks from the xbase library into python.
I would expect that the results would be offered to the community under the
gpl or python license -- altho again, if I get the modules built I need to do
the job, most else is negotiable.

If I am suggesting things that are outside the accepted procedurs in this
group and community, coaching on means and methods would be quite welcome.
Again, methods and language are not important to me.  A useable pyxbase
module is the goal.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Hurlburt
Yakima, WA