[C++-sig] Python scopes in C++

Marc Lazareff Marc.Lazareff at onera.fr
Tue Feb 15 19:30:59 CET 2005

Hello,

Our software uses Python bindings (through SWIG) for C++ "description"
classes, implementing a data-oriented user interaction model.

These classes are data containers, managing attribute/value pairs
through C++ maps, images of the corresponding Python dictionaries for
Python "description" objects. C++ description objects themselves are
"registered" with a global manager.

All goes well as long as we treat all entities in a unique, global,
scope. But this mechanism does not respect Python scopes, because all
objects are registered on the same level, so that :

import spam

and :

from spam import *

have equivalent results for the C++ data structure, which does not
respect the Python scoping logic.

Thus we need to replicate in our C++ code the Python scopes mechanism.

I wondered if any of you had experience with a solution for this
problem, maybe re-using the Python C code.

Thank you for any advice,
Marc Lazareff