[C++-sig] functions not showing up in pydoc

Jonathan Brandmeyer jbrandmeyer at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 11 05:13:03 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 18:01 -0800, Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote:

> > Also, for functions with overloads, only one of the docstrings
> > is printed out. It looks like
> >
> > void function::add_to_namespace(
> >     object const& name_space, char const* name_, object const& attribute,
> > char const* doc)
> >
> > just replaces the old doc string instead of appending the new one
> > to the old.
>
> Another case for a volunteer...
>
> Sorry that I cannot be more helpful.

I have a patch that implements this feature, with the effect that
sequential docstrings will have a single blank line separating them.
Here is the documentation change that describes its behavior:

(from doc/v2/class.html, Effects of the "docstring" argument to
class::def)
Value will be bound to the __doc__ attribute of the resulting method
overload. If an earlier overload supplied a docstring, two newline
characters and the new docstring are appended to it.

I have attached the patch for comment.  If there are no objections I can
commit it tomorrow afternoon.

-Jonathan