[C++-sig] Cross-module inheritance

Eric Jardim ericjardim at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 09:31:42 CEST 2005

Hi again,

I searched google and discovered that the problem is real. Cross-module
inheritance and some other things do not work with boost.python (I don't
know why).

Some old posts show it:

And recent posts show that some guys resolved the problem (partially):
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2005-April/008829.html
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2005-April/008835.html

Doing:

import sys, dl
sys.setdlopenflags(dl.RTLD_NOW|dl.RTLD_GLOBAL)

But, I am afraid this is not a portable solution.

1 - Could anyone tell me if, at least, this solution is portable among gcc
compilation, even on Windows?
2 - Does anyone suggest me to use this trick now, or should I stay with the
"single-module", and wait for this issue to be solved (is it possible, given
boost.python current state?)
3 - Is there any other workaround? It looks like SWIG can do it (am I
right?)
4 - Should I give up everything? ( hope not ;)

Thanks,

[Eric Jardim]