[C++-sig] boost.python on mac os x

Patrick Hartling patrick.hartling at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 14:40:23 CEST 2005

On 4/17/05, Tom Denniston <tom.denniston at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I look at the regression test results for boost I notice that the
> Darwin platform does not have a result for Boost.Python.  Does this
> mean that Boost.Python does not support mac os x?  If it does not is
> this because of something about the mac that makes it particularly
> difficult to support or is there just a lack of interest in that
> platform?

Boost.Python works fine for me on Mac OS X.  I have used Boost.Python
from the 1.31.0 and 1.32.0 releases of Boost.  From looking through
many messages on the Boost developer list, I believe that support for
OS X was improved between 1.31.0 and 1.32.0.  Furthermore, the hard
work of the Boost developers to get support for OS X solidified in
Boost in general helped me improve the usability of my own software on
Mac OS X.

> Has anyone succeeded in compiling boost.python for mac os x.  When I
> try I get the following GCC error.  From googling it seems that there
> is not much you can do about it.
>
> The error I get is below:
>
> ...failed gcc-Link-action
> bin/boost/libs/regex/build/libboost_regex.dylib/gcc/debug/shared-linkable-true/libboost_regex-gcc-d-1_32.dylib...
> gcc-Link-action
> bin/boost/libs/regex/build/libboost_regex.dylib/gcc/release/shared-linkable-true/libboost_regex-gcc-1_32.dylib
> c++: unrecognized option `-shared'

It looks as though you are using the 'gcc' toolset, which is the
default on OS X.   Try the 'darwin' toolset instead.  I am not sure
why the 'darwin' toolset is not the default.  There is one caveat,
however: there is a file in the boost_wserialization library that
requires more RAM to compile than my PowerBook has.  As such, I
usually restrict the build so that it either excludes that library or
so that it only builds the Boost libraries that I am going to use.

 -Patrick

--
Patrick L. Hartling
http://www.137.org/patrick/