[C++-sig] Re: -sBUILD=debug-python

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Thu Nov 18 21:29:38 CET 2004

Stefan Quandt <Stefan.Quandt at bardenheuer.de> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Stefan Quandt <Stefan.Quandt at bardenheuer.de> writes:

>>> Ah, yes, that's what I did.
>>> It's only written wrong in my posting.
>>>
>>> Why dows bjam references the non-debug version python23.lib when linking
>>> boost_python.dll?
>>
>> Oh
>> , that's why.
>>
>> You have to link with boost_python_pydebug.lib/.dll (or the
>> boost_python.lib/.dll that's created in a path including
>> .../debug-python/...) if you want to use Python debug mode.
> As I wrote bjam tries to create a normal "boost_python.dll"

That's fine, if you're using the method in
libs/python/example/Jamfile as you say.  That boost_python.dll is
actually compiled against the "_d" version of the Python library.

>> Of course, if you use the method in libs/python/example/Jamfile you
>> won't have this problem
>
> In fact my Jamfile is derived from the given example and it's very similar
> in structure.
> My extension target rule differs only in
>  1) specifying multiple files in the source argument and
>  2) having a requirements argument with <library-path> and <find-library>
> items).

What libraries are you looking for?  I hope not Python or boost_python!

> So what "mechanism" would bjam bring to create
> boost_python_pydebug.lib/.dll?
>
> After reading
>   file:/home/qua/boost-2004-07-05/libs/python/doc/building.html#variants
> I assumed it would be as simple as using the "-sBUILD=debug-python" option.

That file only gets created when you build the "bin-stage" target, I
think.

http://www.boost-consulting.com