[C++-sig] std::string crash - SOLVED

Vladimir Ignatov vignatov at colorpilot.com
Mon May 31 07:59:09 CEST 2004

Hello all!

> I was getting errors when I was trying to use statically linked
> boost_python_debug.lib and in my app linking against static MSVCPRTD.lib
> (in VC7.0 using /MDd).. and I was getting heap errors but then it
> disappeared when I used /MD MSVCPRT.lib...

Thanks, you give me an idea.  I found a problem. I compile Boost.Python via
supplied *dsp* project, so don't mention this problem in the first place.

My *boost_python.dll* was builded as *multithreaded-DLL* while C++ module
compiled as just *multithreaded*. Thus obvious MS-VC-specific problem
(different heaps) arise. I change code-generation mode for C++ module to
*multithreaded-DLL* and the problem gone.

I understand the Boost is a cross-platform library but I would like to see
some platform/compiler notes in documentation to warn unaware newbies about
known/common pitfalls.

BTW I found that Boost.Python can't be compiled using my VC6 - some files
are fails to compile (sorry, don't have a log handy). Others library are
builds okay.  (VC7 build Boost.Python just fine).

    Vladimir Ignatov