[C++-sig] boost python wrapper parser bug?

brett hartshorn bhartsho at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 26 07:24:34 CET 2004

I think i found a bug in boost python.  My bug sounds very much like this one:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/c++-sig/2002-December/003125.html

I am wrapping a series of classes, they are all very much the same, they all inherit from the same
base class, they all have protected deconstrutors.  I am wrapping like:
class_<myclass, boost::noncopyable>foo("myclass", no_init)
and all is working great, except for this one class called Extensions.  It appears there is
nothing very different about this class, but for some reason boost does not like - hates in fact -
its protected deconstructor.  I've even talked to the author of the class and here is what he had
to say:

"""What I find strange is that only osgGL2::Extensions::~Extensions()
experiences this problem.  I wonder what makes it unique?  Can you
confirm that e.g. osg::BlendColor::Extensions::~Extensions() (or any of
the others mentioned below) does wrap successfully (since it is also a
protected dtor)?  Perhaps it has something to do with the levels of
nesting of namespaces?

However, the code is valid c++ and successfully compiles and runs on
multiple platforms.  So I still believe it's a bug in the boost wrapper
parser, tho I'm not in a position to create a definitive testcase.  You
might want to mention to the boost folks.

Hmm, looking closer at the original error message, something else strange:
 >>>osgGL2/Extensions.cpp:37:   instantiated from here
 >>>/usr/local/include/osgGL2/Extensions:178: error: `virtual
 >>>   osgGL2::Extensions::~Extensions()' is protected

That dtor is not virtual, I don't know why the error message claims it is?

Cheers
-- mew"""

if anyone wants to see the code in question you have to download it the PyOSG wrappers from here:
http://opart.org/pyosg/
the wrapper file you want to look at is in pyosg_devel/osgGL2/Extensions.cpp
the class header it wraps is in the OSG package under include/osgGL2/Extensions

I don't think the error is on my side in the wrapper code, but if it is found to be, i applogize
in advance for this post.

-brett