[C++-sig] Re: indexing_v2 status update

Raoul Gough RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 22 11:59:20 CET 2004

David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> writes:

> Joel de Guzman <joel at boost-consulting.com> writes:
[snip]
>> Looks cool to me ;-) My only concern is: what if the bits of an
>> unsigned int runs out? Unlikely? What if the methods identifiers
>> are types instead in a special namespace and specifying the
>> methods is done using an mpl typelist? Example:
>
> One should at the very least use an unsigned long.  You're only
> guaranteed 16 bits with unsigned int.

I thought about this, but figured there weren't any 16-bit compilers
that would compile the rest of the code anyway. Are there any real
platforms where the compiler supports all that template machinery and
has 16-bit ints (maybe some configurations of gcc)? I suppose it
doesn't actually cost anything to go to unsigned long...

--
Raoul Gough.
export LESS='-X'