[C++-sig] accessing instances of C++ objects in Python

Adrian Bentley adruab at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 10 10:39:47 CET 2004

Just to be clear on some stuff (working with the specific example of Boost):

It IS possible to hand an instance of a C++ class to a python function say
and have the python function treat the instance of the class like one that
was exposed to it.

And assuming that I can do this, it would follow that I can do that and any
data changes will be reflected once I exit the call and am back in C++.

That is really all I would strictly need, but I also have another question:

Is it possible to get boost to treat an arbitrary offset like a variable.
Essentially what I want to do is allocate a C++ class and a block of space
for arbitrary data, and then have Python reference parts of the space as I
want it to.  Is there any sort of support for this type of thing at all?  Or
does it have to be a strict member variable (I could just read through the
source, but there's a LOT of it :)

Also as a side note: is there a more message board like aspect to this
mailing list (I'm new to this form of discussion stuff, and I don't know how
much my email address can take :).

Thanks in advance,
Adruab > Adrian Bentley