[C++-sig] Re: Advanced (?) compiling, freezing, translating Python

luszczek1 at netscape.net luszczek1 at netscape.net
Sun Jan 4 18:21:05 CET 2004

>Unless he's programming in some tiny embedded environment, I think his
>specifications are pretty bogus in the first place.  The language he

I would be glad to provide more detail on my suggestion. I don't which
part of it is "bogus", though.

I'm not suggesting another Python spin-off. We've seen enough already.

What I'm proposing has to do (but is not limited to) programming style:
- if you only use functions I guess you would like your work translated
into C
- if you only use single inheritance you probably would like to translate
it to Java
- if you want mulitple inheritance you go with C++ translation
- if you change objects at runtime by adding methods and attributes you
should probably stick with Python.

>proposes would be neat to have, but I'd rather see effort go into PyPy
>or something; which could theoretically do what he asks someday from
>what I understand of their bootstrapping efforts.

First sentence from the PyPy web page:

The PyPy project aims at producing a simple runtime-system for the Python language.

I was quite specific about runtime: I don't want it. Depending on your
programming style you might not need it.

Peter

New! Unlimited Access from the Netscape Internet Service.
Beta test the new Netscape Internet Service for only $1.00 per month until 3/1/04.
Sign up today at http://isp.netscape.com/register

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.