[C++-sig] Re: Advanced (?) compiling, freezing, translating Python

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sun Jan 4 17:48:12 CET 2004

On Jan 4, 2004, at 12:32 PM, Nicodemus wrote:

> luszczek1 at netscape.net wrote:
>
>> I'm aware of projects like Pyrex, Psyco, and Pypy but their scope is
>> too broad: they are about Python in its entirety and dynamism.
>
> Have you really looked into Pyrex? Because it seems to have what you
> need: Although it can generate code that takes advantage of Python's
> dynamism, type declaration is possible, allowing it to generate direct
> C code... but I have never used, so I may be wrong.

For whatever reason he says he can't depend on Python.  I'm pretty sure
that Pyrex (without modifications) won't produce "plain" C code, and
definitely not executables.  It will always produce Python modules,
even if you manage to write Pyrex code that doesn't really use any
Python features.

Unless he's programming in some tiny embedded environment, I think his
specifications are pretty bogus in the first place.  The language he
proposes would be neat to have, but I'd rather see effort go into PyPy
or something; which could theoretically do what he asks someday from
what I understand of their bootstrapping efforts.

-bob