[C++-sig] Re: Re: Re: CVS version on VC++ 7.0

Mike Rovner mike at nospam.com
Tue Feb 3 21:53:12 CET 2004

Aashish,

Different OSes has different text files lines separation conventions.
Unix uses single character '\n' (0xA) as line end symbol,
DOS/Windows uses pair "\r\n" (0xD , 0xA) for that.

Microsoft _requeres_ that project files (.sln, .vcproj for 7.x, .dsw, .dsp
for 6.0)
has DOS line ending.

Unix text editors often convert files on save to unix convention and you
could get such file from cvs. Also you can check out file from CVS as text
file and (client permitting) explicitly set line ending to DOS dtyle. Also
you can use simple tools like unix2dos.exe or even python2.3 script to do
that (untested):

import sys
try:
  _, in, out = sys.argv
except ValueError:
  print "Usage: python %s  input_text_file  output_file_dos_eol_style" %
sys.argv[0]
  sys.exit()
out=file(out, "w")
for line in file(in, "rU").xreadlines():
  print >>out, line

Regards,
Mike