[C++-sig] Re: Exposing C++ objects to Python at runtime

Jonathan Warrington jonw at mindless.com
Tue Nov 25 01:12:15 CET 2003

David Abrahams wrote:

> Boost.Python doesn't work that way (and thank goodness!), so if you
> really are wedded to an interface like that one, I wish you good luck
> in your travels.
>
> I get the vague feeling that you're so used to working in a particular way
> that you're unable to see that Boost.Python would actually serve your
> needs, though I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if it's that I'm used to working a particular way, or not
(been awhile since I've coded in c++).  I guess I'd come up with what I
thought was a good idea for a plugable system where all that was
required to change scripting languages was to change the call to
CreateScriptEngine.  Also not needing the developers to know anything
about the scripting language, and the scripting system didn't need to
know anything about the other components being written.

Maybe I haven't given Boost.Python a fair enough look, I'll try to look
at it without my preconceived notions of what I want, tommorrow. Thanks
for all your help.

Jon