[C++-sig] Re: Boost.Python scope

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 19:56:29 CET 2003

--- Nicolas Fleury <nidoizo at yahoo.com> wrote:
> This is very nice, since I have a way of working with a
> boost::python::object.  However, my question remain, should Boost.Python
> scope/goal be enlarged to have no need for Py... C functions, providing
> a full C++ API for Python/C++ interaction?

You are asking the right question. Some work on this was done more than a year
ago. Basically the idea was to write a Python script that generates C++
wrappers for the entire Python "C" API with all reference counting handled by
boost::python::object and boost::python::handle<>. Very unfortunately, how
should I say, that horse was beaten dead somehow. Now we need an intrepid new
horse to pull this off. If someone feels brave enough to step forward I'll try
to help and dig out the work that was done before.
Ralf