[C++-sig] Re: Custom by value type to python type conversion

Niall Douglas s_sourceforge at nedprod.com
Fri Nov 7 05:39:04 CET 2003

On 6 Nov 2003 at 17:39, David Abrahams wrote:

> > If it's so well known, then why the hell isn't it in the FAQ so
> > everyone who uses BPL doesn't keep making the same mistake again &
> > again???
>
> Because nobody has composed a reasonably informative FAQ entry that
> will be intelligible to the general public.  Patches are always
> welcome, if you can manage to write one which other people can
> understand.

Surely it's as easy as "def_readonly() and def_readwrite() do not
perform custom to-python type conversions, therefore use
add_property() as a workaround".

BTW, why don't def_readonly() and def_readwrite() perform custom to-
pyton type conversions?

> > (I am grateful for the info - thanks - it just annoys me when this
> > happens, and it's not been the first time either).
>
> Get over it; this is free software.  We do the best we can with the
> resources we have and the contributions of others.

I have never and will never believe any reasoning that just because
software is free that its quality should be inherently less than any
commercial software. As books on good software design have noted
since the 1970's, software can be as technically brilliant as it
likes but without solid documentation, it can never be better than an
average solution. Quality requires good documentation.

I'll put together a doc patch and send it in.

Cheers,
Niall