[C++-sig] Re: list.len()

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Tue May 27 16:28:17 CEST 2003

Philippe Fremy <phil at freehackers.org> writes:

> 	Hi,
>
> I am using boost 1.30 and I was surprised to discover that in
> boost::python::list, there is no len() method. Am I mistaken or is
> PyList_Size( my_list.ptr() ) the only way to get the length ?
>
> If so, I suggest to add it in the future. It is very common to use the size
> of a list when operating upon it.

We should have it, but it should be a namespace-scope function, not a
method.  len(some_list) and len(some_tuple) should work equally well.
There are actually a whole suite of these functions which ought to be
in the library, added to namespace boost::python::api (see
boost/python/object_protocol.hpp for some examples).  Patches are
welcome, if they include user documentation and tests!

www.boost-consulting.com