[C++-sig] Re: OT: VC6 -> VC7

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sun May 18 16:38:46 CEST 2003

"Brett Calcott" <brett.calcott at paradise.net.nz> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using VC6 Prof, and would like to upgrade to avoid the internal compiler
> errors - but I am a little confused by the MS literature. Can someone let me
> know whether this product:
>
> Microsoft® Visual C++T .NET Standard 2003
>
> which only costs $263.20 (New Zealand dollars), and is not an upgrade, has
> all of the code optimisations. I seem to remember MS sold some Academic or
> Cheaper version that lacked a few essential items like optimisation.
>
> I want to avoid having to purchase .NET studio, which contains lots of stuff
> I'll never use.
>
> I've tried talking to MS in NZ - but they know little about the dev
> products.

I've asked some of my friends at Microsoft to try to clear this up.

In the meantime, there are some known techniques for working around
ICEs in VC6.  I'd have to recommend the upgrade to vc7.1 at any price,
because it's a great compiler and well worth the investment. If,
however, you're serious about staying with vc6 for any reason, Boost
Consulting will be glad to be of assistance.

www.boost-consulting.com