[C++-sig] Compile times using Boost::python.

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 01:35:09 CEST 2003

--- gideon may <gideon at computer.org> wrote:
> Regarding compilation on Linux in debug mode (gcc 3.2),
> I have extremely long linking phases, sometimes up to an hour
> with my application :(. Is there a way to speed this up ?
> Linking without debug info is much faster.

I am always using -O0. If and only if I really need the debug symbols I
recompile with -g (with SCons and bjam you can do this without interferring
with your -O0 built).

> > 2. Once you have your (run)time-consuming core algorithms implemented in
> > C++ and wrapped with Boost.Python you can spend most of your time working
> > with the much more pleasant Python language. I am sometimes going for
> > weeks without recompiling.
>
> Except if you're actively developing the wrapper library and looking
> for bugs in your code.

True, but:

- Parallel builts really help.

- Good build systems like SCons and bjam always only recompile what is really
needed (i.e. no "make clean" necessary ever).

- You can maximize the benefits of parallel builts and good build systems by
modularizing your code, which is also good for other reasons.

- While developing you can use the fastest platform available. Test on slower
platforms later.

Ralf