[C++-sig] Building boost.python on Mac OS X

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sun Jan 12 03:11:51 CET 2003

"Paul F. Kunz" <Paul_Kunz at SLAC.Stanford.EDU> writes:

>> Did you look for a bin/<something-like-macosx> directory?  bjam is
>> supposed to end up there.
>
>    I find no `bin' directory.   Maybe its buried deeper than I looked.

Sorry, it's not bin/..., it's:

       $BOOST_ROOT/tools/build/jam_src/bin.<whatever>/bjam

If you don't have that, what happens when you run jam0 from the
jam_src directory?

>> I should warn you that nobody's succeeded in building it for OSX to
>> date.  Apple's dynamic linking model and C++ do not seem to be
>> cooperating yet.  Rene Rivera has done the most work on this, to my
>> knowledge.
>
>    That sounds bad for my cross-platform distribution.  I've got
> Unix distribution and Windows in spite of Bill Gates' perverse build
> envirnoment.  Are you telling me that Steve Jobs has given me even
> more difficult build enviroment even its all built on Free BSD?.
> Iknow these guys complete, but do they compete on who can make the
> most difficult buld environment?

Windows in some ways has the sanest of all dynamic library systems.  I
don't know what to tell you about Apple.  I think they want to fix the
situation with dynamic linking and C++, but last I checked they didn't
have their act together.  The good news is that Rene has done most of
the hard work of tuning Boost.Build to work for OSX, so when/if Apple
has fixed something, the groundwork has already been laid.

--
                       David Abrahams