[C++-sig] win32: BOOST_PYTHON_MODULE always exports DLL symbols

Nicolas Lelong n_lelong at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 3 19:17:07 CET 2003

> My problems with BOOST_PYTHON_EXTEND_EMBEDDED are twofold.  First, it
> feels like premature generalization to me.

OK, I think I'll rely on your experience for this point :)

> Second, it ties orthogonal concepts together (extending and embedding).
Can't you extend an
> embedded Python by sticking a dynamically-linked extension module in the
PYTHONPATH?

That's true, but these modules should not be built in the same 'project' as
the one defining the symbol we're after. My point was to mark that the
modules defined in the 'project' were designed exclusively to extend the
embedded interpreter.

> I also don't want to make this symbol define BOOST_PYTHON_STATIC_LIB,
since you could still
> use an embedded Python with a Boost.Python DLL.

I agree, I did not mention it, but I agree that the symbol we need should be
well separated from BOOST_PYTHON_STATIC_LIB.

> It seems to me that BOOST_PYTHON_STATIC_MODULE is the right symbol for
> controlling what you want.

Well, I don't feel like having much arguments against it.
BOOST_PYTHON_STATIC_MODULE will certainly do the job quite well :)