[C++-sig] Boost.Python compiles & links on Darwin

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Thu Feb 27 07:20:37 CET 2003

"Nicholas K. Sauter" <nksauter at lbl.gov> writes:

> This should be of interest to people waiting to use Boost.Python on the
> Macintosh.  I have achieved partial success running Boost.Python modules
> on Darwin.

This is fantastic news, Nick!

> The build system is based on the scheme proposed by Rene Rivera last
> November, with the Boost.Python library dynamically linked as a
> dylib, and the user's module as a bundle.  Python itself must be
> installed as a Darwin Framework.  It was also necessary to download
> gcc 3.2.2 from FSF rather than use the pre-installed compiler from
> Apple.

Heh.  I wonder if Apple has fixed the EH bugs you mention below in
their local branch of GCC, and they just haven't been rolled back
into the FSF version yet?

> Details are posted in the "darwin_notes" link presented on my
> Multi-platform build page:
>
> http://cci.lbl.gov/boost
>
> As noted, this is only a partial port.  For one thing, the gcc 3.2.2
> compiler doesn't seem to properly handle any C++ exceptions,

Is that just on the Apple platform, or everywhere?  Have you reported
these bugs to GNU through their GNATs system?

> so many of the modules in the Boost.Python test suite will fail. It
> may be necessary to wait for a proper gcc 3.3 release to fix this.
> Also, some work will be needed on the Boost.Python library itself to
> fix some compile-time problems reported in the log files (see build
> page).

I don't see any compile-errors there that aren't supposed to happen.
Link errors are another matter.  The introduction of Python's bool
type has changed the output of some of the runtime tests and the
docstrings need to be updated.

BTW, Nick, I never look at the build page; there's so much output
that it's almost impossible to find errors.  I don't know if it's
useful to you, but I think you might run bjam with

   bjam -d0 all

for that page so that the tests don't run.  The test page can hold the
test run output.  Just a suggestion.

Thanks for all your work on this!
www.boost-consulting.com