[C++-sig] Boost cold feet

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 11 03:17:46 CET 2003

--- Jonathan Brandmeyer <jbrandmeyer at earthlink.net> wrote:
> 1.  Is the entire Boost system required to be installed on an end-user's
> machine to use a C++-based extension module that uses python-boost?

You need the boost source code tree only to compile. Extension modules are
linked against libboost_python.so, so you have to distribute that.

> 2.  What is the bare minimum run-time support that a C++ module requires
> using your extension system, exempting system libraries and python
> itself?

Just libboost_python.so.

> 4.  Can the python->C++ extension library be built and used the
> old-fashoned way (i.e. make)?

Yes, but SCons is a much better build system that we use with great success.
We even have a SConscript that parses the libboost_python jam file with about
20 lines of Python code.

> 7.  Do I /have/ to use the jam system to build my module for Python?
> How badly does Boost pin me into using their build system?

Not at all.

Ralf