[C++-sig] Boost cold feet

Jonathan Brandmeyer jbrandmeyer at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 11 02:12:54 CET 2003

I have an interest in an old Python extension module that was written in
C++.  The interface is managed by some old stuff that LLNL built in the
late 1990's (97?).  Since it predates the C++ standard, it is not
standard-compliant and I am looking for a modern replacement.  I see
that you folks have built up what looks like a much better interface to
Python, but I have some basic questions to ask.

1.  Is the entire Boost system required to be installed on an end-user's
machine to use a C++-based extension module that uses python-boost?

2.  What is the bare minimum run-time support that a C++ module requires
using your extension system, exempting system libraries and python
itself?

3.  How painful is it to learn Boost's jam-based build system?

4.  Can the python->C++ extension library be built and used the
old-fashoned way (i.e. make)?

5.  Debian doesn't offer either Boost or python_boost in _any_
distribution.  Any ideas why?  This is a big source of doubt for me,
since I use Debian.

6.  Any idea about how significantly boost's jam system clashes with the
Debian Way?

7.  Do I /have/ to use the jam system to build my module for Python?
How badly does Boost pin me into using their build system?

Basically, I'm worried about getting locked into a rare build system,
and I want to restrict my project's dependant codebase to the standard
system libraries to the maximum extent possible.

Thanks,
Jonathan