[C++-sig] stage rule and version in .so name

Rene Rivera grafik666 at redshift-software.com
Thu Sep 12 23:49:14 CEST 2002

I know, I know :-) I guess I can look into finally fixing this. No promises
though, getting the real target names generated is not easy.

[2002-09-12] Leonardo Rochael Almeida wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to make it easier to test stuff I built with boost python, so
>I created some stage rules to gather all stuff I need so that I could,
>say, just copy them over to /usr/local and have them work. For instance,
>I added the following snipped to boost/libs/python/example/Jamfile:
>
>stage distrib/lib/python$(PYTHON_VERSION)/site-packages

I see someone else noticed that subdir trick :-)

>I believe the correct behaviour would be for the "stage" rule to
>copy/generate the same thing that the extension rule make
>getting_started1.so depend on, that is, to generate a
>libboost_python.so.1.29.0 in the distrib/lib directory. But I have no
>idea how to go about it.
>
>Any thoughts?

I wish it where only as easy as just generating the *.1.29.0 file. But Linux
SONAME loading is way more anoying than that. I have to replicate both the
bare and versioned files for linking and cross loading to work correctly.

-- grafik - Don't Assume Anything
-- rrivera at acm.org - grafik at redshift-software.com
-- 102708583 at icq - Grafik666 at AIM - Grafik at jabber.org