[C++-sig] boost 1.29, MSVC++ & precompiled headers

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Tue Oct 15 17:37:35 CEST 2002

"Charsley, Mark" <Mark.Charsley at radioscape.com> writes:

> If I include "boost/python.hpp" in a precompiled header in MSVC++ (SP5) and
> try building it in debug mode, I get
>
> <whole bunch ofC4275 warnings snipped>
> z:\thirdparty\boost\boost\ref.hpp(48) : fatal error C1001: INTERNAL COMPILER
> ERROR
>         (compiler file 'msc1.cpp', line 1794)
>          Please choose the Technical Support command on the Visual C++
>          Help menu, or open the Technical Support help file for more
> information
> Error executing cl.exe.
>
> It works fine in release mode and fine if I include it in a normal .cpp file
> outside of a precompiled header. Given how long it takes to compile
> "boost/python.hpp", however, getting it working inside a precompiled header
> would be _very_ nice. Anyone else seen this, and/or know of a fix?

Oh, there are about a billion known ways to get that compiler to
ICE. I think if you turn off "program database with edit and continue"
in your linker options, it might suppress this one. Otherwise, I
suggest asking your question in a Microsoft-specific forum. This is
not a Boost.Python specific question, and people are very likely to
have run across it before.

HTH,
--
           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting