[C++-sig] Using bjam Outside of the Boost Directory

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Tue Nov 19 13:57:49 CET 2002

<cleung at eos.ubc.ca> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to build my extension modules using bjam in the
> libs/python directory and it works well.  However, when I try compiling
> the modules outside of Boost root, bjam gives me some problems. I've
> already set the BOOST_BUILD_PATH and BOOST_ROOT environment variables.
>
> For example, when I try building the "hello world" module in a directory
> outside of libs/python, I wrote a Jamfile as following:
>

> #   Include definitions needed for Python modules
> SEARCH on python.jam = $(BOOST_BUILD_PATH) ;
>
> include python.jam ;
>
> extension hello : hello.cpp <dll>$(BOOST_ROOT)/libs/python/build/boost_python
> 	        : <sysinclude>$(BOOST_ROOT)
> 	;

That won't work with Boost.Build v1. We're working on Boost.Build v2,
which will allow that sort of thing. In the meantime, please see:

   http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/building.html#building_ext

The section starting "If you can't modify or copy your boost
installation" has the information you need.

--
                       David Abrahams