[C++-sig] Link trouble on OS X

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Wed May 22 23:21:28 CEST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Smith" <ssmith at magnet.fsu.edu>
To: <c++-sig at python.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 3:41 PM
Subject: [C++-sig] Link trouble on OS X

> Hello,
>
> In trying to educate myself on Boost I decided to try and build
> Boost.Python
> on a fresh Mac OS X. I installed Python 2.2.1-1 and downloaded Boost
> 1.28.0. I then built Jam with seemingly no problems, set my environment
> variables,
> and tried to build Boost.Python. It seemed fine (just the same warning
> about long doubles) until it hit the linking step:
>
> gcc-Link-action

../../../libs/python/build/bin/libboost_python.so/gcc/release/inlining-on/
> runtime-link-dynamic/shared-linkable-true/libboost_python.so
> /usr/bin/ld: can't locate file for: -lutil
>
> I don't know where the util library is supposed to come from, but if I
> can find it
> I think the build will complete. Anyone know what this is?

This was needed for GCC under cygwin and Linux, so I assumed it was a GCC
dependency, but I never built it on OS X. Try reproducing the command-line
by hand without -lutil and see if everything works. If it does, I'll edit
that out of the Jam file for the OS X case.

-Dave