[C++-sig] enums and structs

Achim Domma achim.domma at syynx.de
Mon May 20 09:48:16 CEST 2002

Hi Dave,

I think boost.python will be a very powerfull, understandable framework.
What you explained to me or the documentation you referenced is very
understandable. At the current state the problems (for me) come from another
direction:

- First I tried to get a simple example up and running. I'm a windows
developer and never used jam or cvs befor, so I had to learn these tools
first. When I tried it, the jam documentation was somewhat outdated, which
made it even hard to use. These problems are solved now, but in case of an
error there is always a rest of uncertainty: 'Do I REALLY have the latest
version from cvs?'

- I usually first try to solve my problems by myself, befor I ask questions.
The userinterface of boost.python is very easy to understand in my opinion,
but if something goes wrong, you usually get template instantiation errors,
which are much less understandable. I'm familiar with basic template
metaprogramming technics, so I can follow the principles you are using, but
I know nothing about magic tricks to workaround compiler bugs. So it's often
very hard to estimate if it's my fault or not.

Because my english isn't the best, I would to make absolutly clear, that
this sould be no criticism in any way! I'm very happy using boost.python,
and most problems arise simply from missing knowledge of my own or the fact
that the software is still in development - but you asked!

greetings
Achim