[C++-sig] linking problem

Gary Hughes geh at itga.com.au
Wed May 1 02:07:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

I posted this question of comp.lang.python but I haven't received any
response, hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

I have written an extension module that exposes a C++ class. I need to
be able to build and run it on Solaris 2.6 and 2.8 with g++.

The 2.8 build works with no problems.

When I try to use it on 2.6 however I get the following error.

Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "./t_py_configuration.py", line 30, in ?
   from configuration import *
ImportError: ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/python: fatal: relocation error:
file ./.libs/configuration.so: symbol __ti7ostream: referenced symbol
not found

I am using the same compiler version on both platforms. 2.95.3.

I have found a multitude of linking problems on the net all relating to
people not using PIC etc. Everything is compiled with PIC and it all
works on the 2.8 machine so I am at a loss to explain what is happening.
I compile and build everything cleanly on each machine.

Has anyone seen this problem or kind of problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gary.