[C++-sig] Re: return type of list::index(object const&)

Dave Hawkes daveh at cadlink.com
Fri Jun 28 16:10:38 CEST 2002

"David Abrahams" <david.abrahams at rcn.com> wrote in message
news:022001c21e36$6fe96830$6501a8c0 at boostconsulting.com...
> I have a choice about whether to return python::object or long from this
> function and others like it. I'm leaning towards long; anyone want to
argue
> for object?

This same issue also applies to wrapping many of the API functions. My
thought was that where a simple type can be returned directly, to use it,
rather than construct an object. There will be many instances where the
value is required directly and does not justify the overhead of holding the
value in an object.

Dave Hawkes