[C++-sig] boost 1.28 on OS X

ich at peabody.jhu.edu ich at peabody.jhu.edu
Thu Jun 13 18:29:28 CEST 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Scott A. Smith wrote:

> Ichiro,
>
> I am trying to build boost CVS on OS X, can you tell me what you
> did in the 1.28.0 build? For example, I see you are able to link
> to -lutil, I cannot. Did this library come on your system or did
> you install it?

No, it's just a link to libSystem.B.dylib:
ln -s libSystem.B.dylib libutil.dylib

> Also I see you have Python in /usr/local/bin, did
> you build this yourself (I used Fink and it puts it in /sw somewhere).

Also a link to :
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python

I don't use Fink.

> Did all of this work directly or have you needed to mess around with
> the jam stuff?

I've messed around quite a bit. 8-)

> How did you get the -framework flags in the build
> commands? My system is behaving quite differently than yours
> even on the build of 1.28.0.

In boost_1_28_0/tools/buidl/gcc-tools.jam:
Replaced (line 205):
    flags gcc LINKFLAGS <target-type>$(SHARED_TYPES) : -shared ;
with:
 flags gcc LINKFLAGS <target-type>$(SHARED_TYPES) : -bundle -bundle_loader
/usr/local/bin/python -framework Python -framework System -flat_namespace
-undefined warning -lstdc++ ;

> I am using GCC 2.95 and also saw problems with templates when building
> the tests with 1.28.0, but now I am trying the latest CVS stuff.

I also build a different type of libboost_python by:
cd
boost_1_28_0/libs/python/build/bin/libboost_python.so/gcc/debug/runtime-link-dynamic/shared-linkable-true
ld -dynamic -r -o libboost_python.dylib *.o

So that it can be linked by other static linker (ld).

Ichiro