[C++-sig] pickle support patches checked in

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 23 00:16:09 CEST 2002

--- David Abrahams <david.abrahams at rcn.com> wrote:
> error_messages::must_be_derived_from_pickle_suite(PickleSuiteType());
> > --------------------------------------------------------^
> >
> > You suggested "volatile const*" as opposed to the "const&" that I am
> using. Is
> > the "volatile" essential?
>
> No more so than the const is.
> However, I also suggested *, and I think volatile references bind
> differently.

My core question is: is my code acceptable, may I check it in?

I tried volatile const* first in combination with &PickleSuiteType() . Then gcc
was warning about taking the address of a temporary. However, I want to use
"PickleSuiteType()" in that very place because the error message comes out
best. volatile const& didn't work for some reason, so I just dropped the
"volatile" and gcc, cxx and vc6 seem to be entirely happy. The "const" is
essential because I am taking a reference to a temporary.

Ralf