[C++-sig] pickle support patches checked in

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 22 20:09:24 CEST 2002

--- David Abrahams <david.abrahams at rcn.com> wrote:
> However, it would be nice if you'd enforce that they used your base class
> by attempting to convert to a pickle_fucntions*.

This additional check seemed highly redundant to me. Yes, if someone correctly
supplies all four static functions in the pickle group it will work without the
derivation, but then the compile-time check is not needed. If any signature is
wrong or any of the four functions is missing there will be a "controlled"
compile-time error anyway.
Hm, maybe it would be nice to generate a different compile-time error
"must_inherit_from_pickle_group" just to give a better clue. Could this be
done?

Ralf