[C++-sig] Support for In/Out arguments?

Brian McCandless bmccandl at llnl.gov
Tue Jul 16 23:27:29 CEST 2002

Hello,

I am attempting to wrap a 3rd party library with BPL v2. This library uses it
own non-standard linked lists.  I have written a function that convert a python
sequence to one of these lists and registered it with registry::insert.  I have
also written a to_python_converter to handle the return values.   Both of these
work find, But I am stuck when the 3rd party library uses one of their lists as
an in/out argument:

class ThirdPartyClass {
public:

  // ...
  virtual void appendToList(ThirdPartList& foo);
};

The method appendToList modifies the input argument foo by adding elements to
the list.  There are many functions that follow this pattern, so I am looking
for a general solution.

How might I handle this situation in BPL?

Thanks,
Brian

--
 Brian McCandless     bmccandl at llnl.gov     925/424-2690