[C++-sig] Outstanding Jobs for v2 release

Achim Domma achim.domma at syynx.de
Sat Jul 13 20:47:06 CEST 2002

> From: c++-sig-admin at python.org [mailto:c++-sig-admin at python.org]On
> Behalf Of David Abrahams
> The way you've currently written the tests, there's a lot of printing to
> std::cout
> and via Python print statements without any result checking. If there's a
> problem with the result, I'll never know it. That's a good reason to use
> doctest instead.

Could you have a look at the attached unittest example for dict? If it's ok
for you, I would do the same for str. I'm not used to use python in
interactive mode and you have to set pathes or move files around to get the
test running. So doctest feels not very comfortable to me - but I might be
missing something.

BTW: It seems that the python test scripts are executed twice. Why? Has it
something to do with doctest?

> [I told you writing good tests would be the hard part -- except for
> documentation, of course, which is the really hard part ;-)]

Yes, but I'm here to learn. I know that writing tests is not easy, but I'm
just experiencing how long it could take. ;-)

> Another issue: functions such as str::startswith() should return bool
> despite the fact that the Python versions return int.

I will fix it.

Achim