[C++-sig] building boost ...

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Thu Jan 24 16:41:23 CET 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hugo van der Merwe" <s13361562 at bach.sun.ac.za>
To: <c++-sig at python.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2002 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: [C++-sig] building boost ...

> > 4. go to the libs/python/build subdirectory of your boost installation,
and
> > invoke:
> >
> >     jam -sBUILD=release -sTOOLS=<toolset> -sPYTHON_VERSION=2.1
>
> -sBOOST_ROOT=../../..

Right. Setting it to an absolute path in your environment will save you from
having to type it and worry that you got it right each time.

> > This will build static and dynamic versions of the Boost.Python library.
>
> Thanks. If I am in the Boost root dir, it works exactly the same, except
> it builds more, right?

yep.

> I was missing the -sPYTHON_VERSION and the
> -sBUILD=release, not sure what the latter does.

chooses a release build as opposed to a debug build.

> But I still don't get
> dynamically linkable .so's. (No output from "find ../../.. | grep so$")

I'm sorry; you need to get the latest boost CVS state for this feature.

> This isn't too urgent though. The 2.1 was more important to me.
>
> > Where toolset is the name of one of the supported toolsets (e.g. gcc).
>
> What is the difference between gcc and gcc-stlport?

the latter is for use with STLport (www.stlport.org). Sorry I can't answer
more of your basic questions. Most of them can be answered by anyone with
experience in C++. Only a few require familiarity with Boost.Python.
Hopefully someone else will step up and help you out; I'm out of time.

Regards,
Dave