[C++-sig] First time pointers, first crash...

David Abrahams david.abrahams at rcn.com
Tue Feb 19 18:17:41 CET 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Franke" <franke at ableton.com>

> > Subject: Re: [C++-sig] First time pointers, first crash...
> [...]
>
> > What does "supposed to" mean?
> > What does "generically" mean?
>
> Excuse me if it's not clear what I meant. English is not my native
> language.

No problem.

> I wanted to ask is just if I have to learn jam to use those parts
> of Boost that consist not only of header files.

Not strictly; you could try to figure out how to build things on your own;
lots of people have done that.

> The docs for Boost.Python, for example, specify the commands to
> build the lib and to build & run the test suite. That's all.
>
> So as a newbie I don't learn how to
> - build a single example or other test project
> - pass configuration options or defines to the build process
> - what the relevant files are

The documentation for building Boost.Python V1 is a little out-of-date, and
unfortunately I don't have much time to document it right now since I'm
working on V2. V2 will have complete documentation.

> And the perspective of having to learn again "something like
> make" is pure horror -- for an outsider, perhaps jam is really
> easy to use & learn.
> Maybe a "quick intro to jam for Boost users" could help here.

Here's a quickie Jamfile.

subproject myproject/mysubproject ;

# bring in the rules for python
SEARCH on <module@>python.jam = $(BOOST_BUILD_PATH) ;
include <module@>python.jam ;

# declare a python extension module:
extension my_extension : src1.cpp src2.c src3.y ...
    : # optional additional requirements
    : # optional default build
    ;

# declare a test
boost-python-runtest my_test : my_test_driver.py <pyd>my_extension
    : <library-path>path-to-boost_python <findlibs>boost_python
    ;

HTH,
Dave