[C++-sig] Why Python for C++ programmers

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Tue Dec 10 23:59:29 CET 2002

"Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve" <rwgk at yahoo.com> writes:

> --- David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:
>
> I also find that debugging/testing my C++ algorithms is a lot faster if I
> expose the new classes to Python from where they can easily be exercised with
> different inputs. Almost all regression tests for my C++ algorithms are written
> in Python.

Why is it easier to excercise your C++ from Python than from C++?

Surely the Python binding layer hides some of the variations on
possible C++ inputs (e.g. const vs. non-const), making it impossible
to fully-exercise some C++ interfaces?

Even discounting this issue, it's not obvious to me why it would be
easier to write a Python binding layer just to test your C++ code.

Thanks for your patience,
Dave
--
                       David Abrahams