[C++-sig] Can boost.python and PyQt be used together?

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Dec 9 03:23:46 CET 2002

"Paul F. Kunz" <Paul_Kunz at SLAC.Stanford.EDU> writes:

>> Did you read
>> http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/v2/return_internal_reference.html#introduction
>> or did you just look at the example usage?
>
>    I read it.  But had to look at the example to understand it.   I
> think it would help if there were statement of example in the
> descriptive text.

I don't understand what you mean. Patches welcome.

>    Maybe I better use the Web documentation instead of what came with
> the distribution.

Probably. There are some small feature changes as well, but there are
more corrections than new features.

>> Actually, the returned CanvasWindow Python object owns the
>> WindowController, which is what you want ;-)
>
>> It's a little counterintuitive, but that's correct.
>
>    Yes, now I'm event more confused.

The CanvasWindow Python object only contains a (non-owning) pointer to
the CanvasWindow C++ object, which is owned by the WindowController
C++ object, which is owned by the WindowController Python object.

I think you can figure the rest out from here... ;-)

>    In the meantime, I've increased the number of exposed method of
> my code to try an example like dclock.py.  And I can see that there
> is something wrong with my code.  I don't know what yet.  But Python
> doesn't crash, things just don't work right.

Happens to the best of us. Good luck,

--
                       David Abrahams