[C++-sig] Why Python for C++ programmers

Joel de Guzman djowel at gmx.co.uk
Mon Dec 9 00:31:59 CET 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Abrahams" <dave at boost-consulting.com>

> "Paul F. Kunz" <Paul_Kunz at SLAC.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> > - Many C++ applications needs some set of parameters to intialize the
> >   application before executing some simulation or analysis.   So some
> >   initialization file with a particular syntax is invented.   This
> >   file has to be parsed with C++.  But Python is much better at
> >   parsing,
>
> I think Joel de Guzman of the Spirit parser framework might argue with
> you about that... but I take your point.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I haven't done any parsing in Python :-)

Ok, here's my take, FWIW....

C++ is strongly typed, Python is dynamically typed. You get the best of
both worlds when you marry the two. I like the safety of strongly typed
C++ in that you catch many typing mistakes at compile time. On the
other hand, I also like the flexibility of dynamic typing of Python where
dynamic polymorphism shines in its glory.

2c-w...

Cheers,
Joel de Guzman
joel at boost-consulting.com