[C++-sig] Re: my experiences with boost/python so far

Raoul Gough RaoulGough at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 10 18:46:16 CEST 2002

> Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 15:42:39 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Robert Andre <randre at pppl.gov>

[snip]
> 3) creating a single module worked fine but when I started using two
modules built
>    with boost I would get seg faults deep within stringstream -- something
to do with a
>    missing character_trait used in double conversions.  I'm guessing a
compiler bug or
>    I built my gcc incorrectly. I finally had to force the use of the
deprecated
>    strstream in  operators.hpp.

That sounds slightly familiar to me. Maybe my experiences will give you some
ideas:

I use the STLport library and mingw (with gcc 2.95.3-5) and started getting
problems with ostream numeric conversions. It turned out to be very simple -
I had switched to compiling the client code with --ansi, which among other
things eliminates support for long long. Unfortunately, I had compiled the
STLport libraries *without* --ansi, so they did have long long support. The
result was that some object files thought there were n numeric output
methods, and the other modules thought there were n+2. This caused a
mismatch in a virtual function table lookup within the iostreams numeric
formatting code, and it took me a while to figure out why it had happened.

Other than that, I once got into trouble with a --fvtable-thunks option
mismatch, which (IIRC) initially showed up somewhere in an uninitialised
locale being used. The joys of keeping multiple versions of a library around
:-)

Regards,
Raoul Gough.