[C++-SIG] Restarting

John Skaller skaller at maxtal.com.au
Fri Jul 9 21:36:57 CEST 1999

At 09:04 29/04/99 -0700, Geoffrey Furnish wrote:

>I think the Python C++ bindings should live in namespace Py.

Something more like

	org::python::Py

would provide better identification perhaps?

>I think we should keep avoid use of partial specialization since MS
>won't have it until at least VC++ 7.0.
>I think we should avoid having any part of the C++ binding /depend/ on
>member templates, because Sun 5.0 doesn't have them.
>I think we should provide some conveniences as optional facilities
>that are implemented with member templates.

	I really don't see why you need this complication.
A C++ binding to python doesn't need any templates at all.

	Two things ared required:

	1) a new python type whose 'methods' map
onto a single C++ virtual base representing a PyObject.
(It won't quite work right, because python checks the
C vtable for 'isSequence' etc).

	2) C++ types representing python types
(This work has already been done and posted here).

	Templates, member templates, and other fancy features
are not required: python has dynamic genericity,
templates are not useful here.

John Skaller    email: skaller at maxtal.com.au
		http://www.maxtal.com.au/~skaller
		phone: 61-2-96600850
		snail: 10/1 Toxteth Rd, Glebe NSW 2037, Australia