[C++-SIG] Integration

Mark Hammond MHammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Dec 8 00:38:48 CET 1998

[Many readers of this SIG dont have HTML enabled mailers - plain text
is better]

Embedding Python into a C++ application is (pratically :-) no harder
than embedding it into a C application.  This is amazingly easy, and
quite well documented.  Where there are holes in the documentation,
Deja News will come to the rescue.  Rest assured that it has indeed
been done many-a-time.

Utilising COM in your embedded application need be no harder than
utilising COM from stand-alone Python.  Once ported to SGI, your guess
is as good as mine about how COM will work there.  I can state fairly
certainly that noone else has done it yet.

You challenges are likely to be domain specific, and Im afraid we cant
offer advice here.  One big issue is how you structure the embedding
of Python - eg, will it just be a string interface, is there an
existing object model you will attempt to extend, will there be
specially named user-written methods you will be calling etc?

You are probably best served by continuing this discussion on the main
Python newsgroup - this is not the focus of the C++ sig, and the
newgroup is likely to have a much larger audience of people who can
answer your questions effectively...

Hope this helps...

Mark.