[core-workflow] travis bottleneck at sprints

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu May 25 16:49:28 EDT 2017

Donald is our contact with Travis, so I've explicitly added him to this
email.

To give some details: we get 25 concurrent jobs across all the various
"official" Python projects on GitHub hosted under the Python, PyPA, and
PyCA organizations (which is a substantial bump from what most projects
get; see https://travis-ci.com/plans to get an idea of what we're getting
for free). CPython itself uses 3 of those with any single PR or merge into
a branch (docs, Py_DEBUG, coverage).

Now normally this works out great for us since CPython is probably one of
the more active projects that gets to use this increased budget, and so we
typically take a chunk of the 25 concurrent builds happily and get our
builds started very promptly. But at the sprints we ran up against
cryptography and their crazy build needs:
https://travis-ci.org/pyca/cryptography . IOW having every major Python
project using Travis' free service at once hit us hard.

As to whether we can get more of a budget for the sprints at PyCon US (or
any other conference), I don't know. Maybe Donald could tell us more detail
and/or find out if next year we can plan ahead to get a temp boost for the
four days. Otherwise we're talking about making PyCA suffer year-round by
having them have to get their own quota or something.