[core-workflow] Are the "cherry-pick for *" labels on GitHub useful?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue May 9 18:42:59 EDT 2017

On Tue, 9 May 2017 at 10:23 Mariatta Wijaya <mariatta.wijaya at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Right now I'm only using the cherry-pick labels to verify whether a
> backport has been done or not, so then I can remove the `needs backport to`
> label from the original PR.

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that I thought the "needs backport to *"
labels should go, my question is about the "cherry-pick for *" labels only.

> If all of these become automated, then perhaps cherry-pick labels aren't
> needed.

The "needs backport *" labels will still be needed even in that instance
probably for when a backporting PR fails (e.g. merge conflict that requires
a human being to resolve).

> There should still be a bot that removes the `needs backport` label. It
> will simplify this issue https://github.com/python/bedevere/issues/13

Which we are actively discussing. :)

-Brett